About / Gift of Life / How We Conduct Programs
The mission of the Life Savers℠ program is to empower individuals to communicate the life value of organ and tissue donation by having a conversation with their family about their wishes.
Presentations are designed to reach classrooms of any size and are often offered to high school health, psychology, sociology, biology and physical education classes. High schools may choose an assembly format as well.
The classroom presentation consists of:
- What organs and tissues can be transplanted
- Criteria for organ and tissue donors
- Process of consenting to donation
- What happens to the donor once the family consents to donation
- Presenting the top five myths to organ and tissue donation
- Explanation that signing a drivers license is not enough
- Explaining that a conversation with your family is the most important step to becoming an organ and tissue donor
- Families must be clear about their wishes regarding donation so that at the time of death of a loved one the decision regarding donation will be easier
After the presentation the students are asked to have a conversation with their family regarding organ and tissue donation.
Gift of Life provides each classroom with brochures for the students to complete after they have had a conversation regarding donation with their family. The brochures are returned to the classroom teacher and the teacher may offer extra credit or have the Life Saver program be a required assignment. The brochures are returned to Gift of Life for office use only in order to measure the outcomes of the Life Savers program.
The goal of the program is to empower individuals to have a conversation with their family regarding organ and tissue donation.
Gift of Life maintains a speaker’s bureau for spiritual communities, civic organizations, businesses and schools regarding the value of organ and tissue donation. The length of presentation may be customized to your need.
Please contact the Gift of Life office to schedule a presentation for your organization.
If you have other questions regarding the Life Savers program or organ and tissue donation please email Kim Harbur, Director of Education firstname.lastname@example.org.